The electrical subteam tested the optical encoder and the testbed today. They encountered some errors in the code they were using and couldn’t find a way to fix the code. They completed the Visio diagram of the test bed and the pneumatics diagrams. They are working on the coding for the mecanum drive. The mechanical subteam made the stabilizer mockup and tested their C-arms for lifting the totes off the carpet. They calculated the force and angle needed to lift the tote. After they finished the construction of the arm, they tested, but the results were inconclusive. The systems team calculated what the robot would do in different scenarios and finalized the frame dimensions.

While the mentors completed the building of the low goal, we set to work building our prototypes. One sub-division of the high goal team mounted their motor and wheels onto the three prong design while the other put wheels on the Falling Rake retrieval device. Teammates who were not working on those tasks completed the construction of the Kit Frame. The electrical team focused their energy on programming the drive code for joysticks and learning the program C++.

After much heated discussion on the ideal method of scoring, the teams were rearranged, leaving four people on the low goal team while the rest of the low goal team joined the high goal team. A meeting was called to organize the new and improved high goal team. The members of the high goal team were re-assigned to two sub-divisions, each dedicated to a different method of picking up the ball. One team engaged in research and development, measuring and cutting PVC to create their prototype of a three-pronged arm. The other team developed a wooden prototype of a “Falling Rake” to scoop up the ball with rolling wheels. Meanwhile, the low goal team designed a collapsible funnel for easy catching and passing.

Due to the fact that the day was short, a few of us went to the public library in hopes of finding useful information about claws. We later met with the team when the room was opened after the faculty meeting. In order to get the general shape and size of roller claw, some of the system integration members began to CAD the design. Others started to work on the Kit Frame so later we could begin testing. They measured and marked the places to be cut.

The original plan for the day was to draft strategies, so we met to arrive at a team consensus for our game plan. As our team debated on what design to follow through on, we came to the realization that our discussion was not making progress. Evenly divided on whether we should shoot for high goal or low goal, we separated into two groups: one for the high goal and one for the low goal. The designs that each group would come up with would be presented at CDR (Critical Design Review).

As the day progressed, selected designs were solidified and important decisions were made; by the end of the day, each team had written stories and tasks and had begun to assign roles to each group member. While some people researched previous robot designs online, others created prototypes out of things like pneumatic cylinders.

With half a day ahead of us and the Preliminary Design Review on our minds, we set to work. Designing proof-of-concepts, we continued to rebuild each prototype until they were deemed effective. Using materials such as pipe cleaners, LEGOs, cardboard, plastic pots, and a vacuum, innovative prototypes emerged.

After a yummy dinner provided by our family, we gathered at 7:15 to begin our PDR. Each group presented their ideas to teammates and mentors. Following each presentation, groups were asked questions to clarify their design. We thought about the designs presented to prepare to vote the next day.